CHEVROLET MONZA


Oh c'mon! Look at this! Isn't this just so chunky and funky? Well, I like it, I love it!

Maybe it's the sumbliminal 'Engerland' footie colours? I don't know. One thing's for sure, it wasn't the real car that lit my fire, far from it I'm afraid.

I really wanted a Lanechanger 1000 when I was little and as much as the head wanted the Porsche my heart wanted the Monza. This Monza, in full red and white. I bought one last year on ebay and I loved it. It is useless to me (for I have no Lanechanger track) and I used it as a desk top toy for a few months. But hey, so many people picked it up and looked at it...




I was always a fan of it's more expensive sister, too. The blue and yellow Monza was the blue eyed blonde and totally out of my league in a set costing £50 plus... It too looks good but I think familiarity (in the US at least) has dulled my affection for it.




But of course, the sexy twins also had a long lost oriental cousin, a foxy babe who slipped back in to the limelight last year. Again, notice on the Monza that the car product numbers stay largely unchanged regardless of body colour.


The red & white Monza was dubbed 'Super Monza' in the UK and was LC-102.


The blue & yellow Monza was tagged 'Monza GT' in the UK and was LC-103.


Both cars were 'Type A'


In the US it is the exact opposite:


The red & white Monza was dubbed 'Monza G.T.' (10-39-51)


The blue & yellow was tagged 'Super Monza' (10-39-53).

In 1980, the Monza was revamped to include headlights. The Yellow Monza replaced LC-103 in the UK but the Red & White version continued as 'No. 8' in lieu of 'No.1'. This was still known as LC-102.


Blog Archive