POWER CRAZY!



Right, I am recovering from an email I received regarding the power output of Counterlane transformers. I am grateful to Ben for clarifying it because I've been working on a huge assumption ever since 1982! Allow me to explain...


The transformer supplied with Powertrack and Speedtrack sets is rated at 6v output. The cars are referred to as 6v cars.


The transformer supplied for Lanechanger sets is rated at 10v output. The cars are never referred to in voltage terms because they never changed. I suspect the USA RPS sets were also 10v if someone can confirm?


When Powertrack Plus came around I was always sure these were 12v. I don't know why, but I had a PP-9000 in 1981 and never questioned it. Sure, the transformer wasn't rated at 12v but that meant there was no drop when two cars were racing. The references I had seen at model shops and the oft quoted Model Engineer Exhibition must have referred to them as 12v cars too because I'm damn sure I would have noticed - and remembered.


Since acquiring Dapol information I too noticed the reference to 18V power output. Alarm bells rang and I would look into it. Ben's email has rather embarrassed me now so let's have look...


I've just checked my Powertrack Plus transformer and its rated at 16-18v output. The box art and instruction manuals for my PP-2000 also make no reference to any input or output voltage whatsoever.


The cars chassis do not have a voltage written on them, neither do the motor or the bulbs. The only reference is the 'HVT' - presumably High Voltage something or other?


The thing is, all the Powertrack Plus items I have seen have been rated at 12v. I think this stems from the fact people have run these cars on Scalextric Micro with no problems.


I should be editing my blog to show 12v as 18v and this would certainly make Powertrack Plus a very powerful system. However, I have a very large layout and run it with the 18v transformer and I get no power drop off or surge when one of the cars go off the track.


I suggest that the cars are rated at 12v but the transformer can work above this to compensate for power demands and enable longer set layouts.


As ever, my thanks to Ben for raising the issue but please let me know your thoughts on this before I change anything.


By the way, there is a service sheet available showing a Powertrack car split apart to show the serviceable parts inside. I saw one once and I'm sure it was supplied with my Race & Chase, the car was likely to have been a Corvette. If anyone has a copy they would like to share please email me.



Blog Archive